Baccalaureate & Commencement
Dear Parents/Guardians of the Class of 2020,
It is never too soon to start planning. For that reason, I thought it would be good that I share with you an overview of the “Celebratory activities for the Class of 2020,” as well as your son’s obligations with respect to the completion of his final months at the Prep. All of this information, as well as occasional updates, will be posted on the St. Augustine Preparatory School website.
Joining the festivities this year are graduates from the Class of 1970 on the occasion of their 50th anniversary.
On behalf of the Board of Directors, faculty, staff and leadership team, I sincerely thank you for entrusting your son’s education to St. Augustine Preparatory School. Please be assured of my prayers for your son, you, and your family as we acknowledge and affirm the many gifts and accomplishments of the Class of 2020.
Fr. Robert J. Murray, O.S.A.
COUNTDOWN TO COMMENCEMENT 2020
Important Dates & Times
Wednesday, May 20, 2020
Senior Parent/ Guardian & Faculty Reception
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Place: Consalo Dining Hall
Formal invitations will be sent to you from the Office for Advancement via email. (Please ensure the school has your correct email address.) There is no cost for this event and is a wonderful opportunity for the parents/guardians of the Class of 2019 to gather and celebrate their son’s past four years. The attire is smart casual. (Parents and guardians only.)
Thursday, May 21, 2020
Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Exercises
Time: 4:00 p.m.
This year’s festivities will be held on the field adjacent to the south side of the Forum. Commencement Exercises should be complete by approximately 6:00 p.m. Information regarding location and seating is below. The decision to celebrate on a Wednesday rather than a weekend is to minimize conflicts with end-of-year athletic events and college graduations on the weekends.
In order for your son to receive his diploma, he MUST:
• Successfully complete all academic and service requirements. Please contact Mr. Stephen Cappuccio, Dean of Academics (Mr.Cappuccio@hermits.com) if you have questions.
• Satisfy missed school days in excess of 15 absences. Please contact Dr. Dominic Puggi, Dean of Student Leadership (Dr.Puggi@hermits.com) if you have questions.
• Satisfy all financial responsibilities as determined by the Business Office. Please direct questions to Mr. Guy Hackney, Senior Finance Director, (Mr.Hackney@hermits.com).
• Attend the Senior Breakfast, Award Ceremony, and Graduation Rehearsal on Wednesday, May 20, 2020, beginning at 9:00 a.m. (Students only.)
Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Exercises:
Parking and Seating:
- Due to limited on-campus parking, families are encouraged to carpool.
- Seating for families and their guests will begin at 3:00 p.m.
- All attendees must present a ticket to enter.
- Each family will receive eight (8) tickets in total. Tickets will be color-coded.
- Five (5) blue tickets will be provided to each family.
- Three (3) white tickets will be provided to each family.
- Both blue and white tickets will grant the bearers general admission to the outdoor Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Exercises to be held on the field between Railroad Boulevard and the Buondonno Forum.
In the event of inclement weather:
- Each blue ticket will grant the bearer admission to Rodio Gymnasium to view the indoor ceremonies.
- Each white ticket will grant the bearer admission to the Consalo Dining Hall to view the indoor ceremonies on the projection screens.
- This ticketing policy is in place to provide each family with the highest possible number of tickets for the outdoor ceremony. In the event of an indoor ceremony, the blue tickets must be limited due to the fire code regulations for Rodio Gymnasium.
- An announcement that the ceremonies will be moved indoors will be made via the Honeywell Instant Alert System on Thursday morning, May 21, and the information will be updated here.
The day of graduation, seniors MUST:
- Report to Spina Gymnasium no later than 2:45 p.m.
- Wear a white shirt, tie, dress socks, dress shoes and dress pants under their graduation gown.
- Hair must be clean-cut and all graduates must be cleanly shaven.
- Remember their cap and gown, which will be handed out during the week leading up to graduation day.
- Report to a designated area after the ceremony to pick up their diplomas.
Members of the Class of 2020 are welcome to invite family members who are Roman Catholic priests and deacons in good standing to participate in the Baccalaureate Mass. Please contact Fr. Patrick McStravog, O.S.A., Campus Minister (Fr.McStravog@hermits.com) or call 856.697.2600, ext. 145 by May 1, 2020.
St. Augustine Preparatory School legacy members are invited to distribute a diploma to their graduating senior. This opportunity is extended to:
St. Augustine Preparatory School Faculty and Staff
Please contact Mrs. Maria Enos (Mrs.Enos@hermits.com) or call 856.697.2600, ext. 190 by May 1, 2020.
St. Augustine Preparatory School makes every effort to accommodate persons with special needs attending the Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement Exercises.
Please contact Mrs. Donna Field (Mrs.Field@hermits.com) or call 856.697.2600, ext. 128 regarding accommodations for persons with special needs or if you have questions or need clarification about items in this communication.
Questions or Concerns?
If you have any additional questions regarding this information, please contact:
Mrs. Donna Field, Administrative Assistant, Buondonno Forum
Phone: (856) 697-2600 x128 e-mail: Mrs.Field@hermits.com
2019 Baccalaureate and Commencement Program Booklet
NOTE: The Program Booklet for the 2020 Baccalaureate and Commencement Ceremonies will be posted on Thursday, May 21, 2020. You may view last year’s booklet below.
Please click the square in the middle of the document to view the program in full-screen mode. After entering full-screen mode, you may download the booklet by clicking the arrow icon on the top-left of your screen.